Pages

Saturday, November 23, 2013

SUNDAY MORNING FRENCH TOAST



French toast. Because it's Sunday. I have some of the Vegg that I brought from America. They're practically giving it away over there. You can buy it online here, but it's expensive.  I used the french toast recipe from the Newman Improved blog available here, but I didn't make it gluten free.  Instead I used some ciabatta bread that had been sitting around the kitchen so it was a little stale. French stale bread is the best for FT, IMO, but this was a close second. I didn't use a blender, which turned out to be a bit of a mistake. I think next time I'll also use a little Alpro soy cream for half the soy milk, or something. Overall it turned out pretty darn well.

There were strawberries at the farmers market this week, and I has some market raspberries in my freezer, so I made a basic fruit sauce to go on top. Recipe follows.

Fruit Sauce

Ingredients:

1 pint strawberries
1 cup frozen raspberries
2 tablespoon sugar
1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

Method:

1. Wash and cut up the strawberries.
2. Put them in a saucepan, add raspberries, heat on medium.
3. Add the sugar.
4. Cook for a while at a simmer. Maybe 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Add a little water if it seems too thick. I like it pretty thick so I don't even worry about it.
5. Mix the cornstarch and water.
6. Add to the saucepan. It should thicken almost immediately.
7. Remove from heat. Done!


No comments: