Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

NO FUSS, HIGHLY ADAPTABLE NOODLE SOUP






This is a fool-proof non-recipe dinner for me. I make it when I get home and I don't want to be bothered making any effort, but I want something reasonably healthy and tasty very quickly. I can make it in less that 15 minutes now. 

The ingredients are:

Garlic
Ginger
Vegetable broth (I am absolutely insane for Massel fake chicken broth)
Other sauces (optional - soy sauce or garlic chili or whatever inspires)
Noodles (I prefer bean thread or rice vermicelli) 
Vegetables (I like to have mushrooms and at least one leafy green or cabbage. Other things that work well are shredded carrots, daikon radish, or turnips. I would definitely recommend taking the time to shred the root items because it reduces cooking time and tastes better)
Miso

Today I had mushrooms, brussels sprouts, kale, and chard/silverbeet. I'm sure there is a more professional way to cook this, but this is the fastest tastiest way from my experience. 

Directions: 

1. Boil some water in a saucepan.
2. Add garlic and ginger.
3. Add broth powder.
4. Slice mushrooms. Add mushrooms.
5. Add other sauces.
6. Taste broth and decide whether it needs something.
7. Prepare other vegetables while it boils.
8. Add noodles. Wait a minute.
9. Add other leafy vegetables or shredded roots.
10, Put a small tablespoon of miso in a bowl and add some of the liquid from the saucepan to blend.
11. The vegetables and noodles should be cooked by now. Add them to the bowl with the miso.  

Tofu option:
I like to add plain baked tofu as well, when I have some tofu on hand. You could also cut up some of the marinated tofu from the market and then you wouldn't have to pre-bake - just chop it up and throw it in. For plain baked tofu: just before the whole process starts, cube some tofu and bake it in an oven at about 200 for 10-15, or until a little dry and pretty brown. Then when the soup is done, put it on the top of the bowl after serving. They're like healthy little texture-rich croutons. 


No comments: