Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

RASPBERRY AND RHUBARB SPELT MUFFINS





There is a simple truth to me. I love muffins. I like spelt muffins because they're dense, and I love rhubarb muffins because they're sour. These are sour dense muffins. I made these by adapting a recipe from Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. The original recipe, Blueberry Ginger Spelt Muffins, is an all time fave.  The book is one of my favorite recipe books.

Ingredients

2.5 C spelt flour 
3/4 C brown sugar
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 T mixed spices, or pumpkin pie spice, or any spice blend that's got cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and those sorts of spices.

1/2 C soy yoghurt (I used King Land mango and peach)
1 C soy milk
1/3 C oil

1 C raspberries
1 C rhubarb

Brown sugar (optional)

Method: 

1. Preheat oven to 200. Grease the heck out of a muffin tin.  Not only does it make it easier to remove the muffins, but it makes the outside (crust?) a little tastier, IMO. 

2. Mix dry ingredients.

3. Mix wet ingredients.

4. Mix wet and dry, add raspberries and rhubarb. Next time I make these, I'm going to add a handful of walnuts. 

5. Spoon into muffin tin.

6. Sprinkle just a little brown sugar on the top, if you want. You could also cut the brown sugar in the recipe to 1/2 C and then sprinkle some on top.  

7. Cook for about 35 minutes, or until brown on top. 

8. You could let them cool and then remove them from the tin, but I normally let them cool only a tiny bit and then I run a knife around the edges to break up any thick, jammy bits where the fruit has affixed itself to edges. Then I eat them directly from the tin over several days, as custom dictates in my particular household. 




No comments: