Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

COLOURFUL CARROT SALAD ROLLS




Ingredients:

4 Carrots of different colours, grated
1 package marinated tofu (the bags of marinated tofu at the farmers market are perfect)
1 cup mixed greens
1 avocado
spring onions
rice paper

Dipping Sauce
1 C cilantro, stems removed
1/2 nuts, or 1/4 C nut butter 
2 T soy sauce
1 T vinegar
1 T ginger
1 tsp sugar (or to taste)
1 tsp chili flakes (or to taste)
1/3 C water
Method:

1. Prepare the vegetables and tofu.

2. Make the dipping sauce by putting everything in a food processor and blending it like crazy

Making the salad rolls:

3. I normally use a baking pan for the rice paper. They called it a jelly roll sheet in home ec, I think, because it's mostly flat with small edges. Anything with any sides will work. I boil some water in a kettle, I pour some into the pan, and then add a piece of rice paper, and I probably only leave it for ten seconds so it's not totally soft and you can still make out the markings on the paper.  I normally hold it in two places at the top and shake it just a little to get off extra water.

4. Transfer the rice sheet onto a cutting board or plate. Place veggies in kind of line, parallel to you, slightly closer to you than the center. Then flip over the edge closer to you, tuck in the sides, and keep rolling. The trick is to get the rice paper the right amount of cooked. If it's taring too easily you probably left it in the water too long, but if it doesn't have any stretch, you might have left it in too little. I'm sure Bittman has a different take on the nuances of salad rolling, and my only knowledge of this is from experience, so I could have the chemistry all off.

5. Repeat 3 and 4 as much as necessary. If a tear emerges in a roll, I just roll another sheet around it.

6. Put dipping sauce in a little bowl with salad rolls beside it. Done!



I also once made them with radicchio leaves on the outside for extra colour:





And I made the sauce extra spicy by adding, er, chili sauce maybe? Sriracha? I can't remember. They were good, but at the time I thought they looked really perverse. I tried to select the most family friendly photos for the blog here.





No comments: